Sunday, September 4, 2011

September


September.  A time of reflection, hope and new beginnings.  It's strange, how when the leaves are falling and everything is going dormant for the winter, everything in our lives is beginning anew.  School, new classes, new seasons of television shows, and trying new things.  I love this time of year.  Always have. The sun setting a little bit earlier, crisp fall apples from the Okanagan, new clothes, and yes, I was one of those children who loved going back to school.  As least from what I can remember.  August was a good month, and one of the first month's since Luka died, where I haven't cried every day.  In fact,  I've been pretty happy.  Enjoying the hot summer, meeting new people, spending time with my husband, and just focusing on the now.  In the last few days, as we've rolled into September,  the memories of Luka have begun to surface again.  She's never far from my mind, but it was nice to feel free from the thoughts and the pain for a while.  Putting that in writing, makes me feel guilty.  I don't want to forget, but the lightness I have felt has been so refreshing.  And as I go back to school, and feel the fall evening air, I wish she was here.  Last year, we were so freshly mourning, that I wasn't even aware of the arrival of fall.  Now that I am so much more present, I wish I could share my favourite time of year with her.  I'm nervous about school this year.  My first year teaching a split class, lots of changes at the school, and Michael being a teacher on call.  It's going to be very different.  But I know it will be a good different.  It's just going to take some adjusting.  My goal is to just enjoy the students I have in my class, focus on them and their wonderfulness, and try new things outside of school.   I'm going to try my hand at improv, and will continue to go to yoga.  And of course, continue to hope for new life.  In all this newness,  I hope that a seed will grow.  I just have to continue to believe that it will happen.  In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy evening walks with Michael and Sassy, cool weather, macintosh apples, Sunday morning pancakes and bacon,  and the gentleness of Luka in the fall wind and the changing colour of the trees.


I found this on my pillow one evening before I went to sleep.  It is now posted above my pillow, to remind me that anything is possible.  I love my husband.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael and Wendy!
    `I've been trying to comment with no success. I hope you get this one. I love your writing and your hope. You have what 80% of marrieds don't... a loving, devoted, Christian husband. Start your day with a journal to jot down all that you thank God for.
    Our mourning and raw pain are like the dead stems and weeds that litter a garden in the fall.Each layer of new soil that is formed lies deeper every year and enriches new growth.
    So it is with our souls, we shed off old answers to life and grow less ego,less materialism, more humility. Now, we have God's attention and compassion. Now, finally God can finally use us in a powerful way. " It is in weakness that power reaches perfection." the Bible says. We dwell in God's rich soil now, caught between heaven, where our child's soul lives and earth, where we live.
    Congratulations on getting through the toughest part...the first years. My prayers are always with you!

    ReplyDelete