Friday, October 8, 2010

subway girl

This morning Michael drove me to school, and we stopped to pick up coffee at Starbucks and lunch for me at Subway. This is our occasional routine on Friday mornings.  While I was getting coffee,  Michael went into Subway to get me my turkey and bacon wrap. When I returned to the car,  he told me the subway girl had asked him how our baby was, and if we had had a boy or a girl.  I was amazed that a total stranger had remembered Michael and I.  It's always hard to tell people who don't know about Luka. There was a teacher on call at our school today, who had seen me pregnant last year.  She was surprised I was back already after having my baby.  I told her straight out what happened.  I think I sounded really cold about it, like I didn't care.  I just told her the truth.  And then there's one person who I see once in awhile, and knows everything that happened, who chooses to not acknowledge me or Luka's death.  I don't need to have huge conversations about my experience, but I just would like to be respected.  I keep reminding myself that everyone deals with grief and sorrow differently.  I shouldn't let it affect me, but it does.  We're about to leave for dinner tonight. We're going to Milestones with good friends.  Luka's little life has brought us close to so many people here. We were so down on Chilliwack before she was born, but have learned through our experience that life is too short to ignore what is around you. Once we opened our hearts. we discovered new friendships, and a community that cares and loves us.  We also have so many friends all over the world,  who have blanketed us with love, and continue to do so.  Thank you.  Your words, thoughts, and prayers have been instrumental in helping us heal.  I only hope that at some point, we can see each and everyone of you, and thank you in person.  Well, off to dinner.  I'll be having a glass of wine tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Wendy,
    I hope you had a great glass of wine... some time we would love to share a bottle with you and Michael, and to toast to all that has been lost, and to hope for the future. I know that your hearts will always feel that loss and hurt from Luka's death, and that your hearts will also always feel that strength and blessing of love that she brought to you both, and that you have for her. I cannot imagine what you've been through, and I will continue to pray for healing and for new life in you. Lots of love.
    Julie Anne

    ReplyDelete